Sunday 30 May 2010

Recovery time

I did promise myself during the North Face 100, "Mike, if you finish this race and drag your arse to the end, you have earned some time off." It's been a pretty solid 12 months - from my first Ironman, to Oxfam Trailwalker, Sydney Marathon, Canberra Half Ironman, Sydney to Goulburn 300km ride, Audax Alpine Classic, Husky long course tri, Ironman again, Wild Endurance 50km run and North Face 100km run.

A lot of firsts. One year ago I'd never run any longer than 42kms at a time, never ridden over 200km and certainly never done an event which took longer than about 6 or 7 hours.

The upshot is, I'm knackered. No mojo, no motivation. Thank god for the last two weeks of rain which has just made it psychologically so much easier to feel completely guilt-free when I sleep in every day and skip all my lunchtime workouts!

I need to re-evaluate my goals for the rest of the year, but right now I'm happy spending more time hanging out with my wife, sleeping and essentially not thinking about training. That way, I only go for a ride, swim or run when I really feel like doing so.

This won't last, I'll be obsessive again in a few weeks. But so far I like it!

No comments: